Wednesday, July 9, 2014

More photos from Engineering Island adventure

Getting to Engineering Island requires anchoring the boat at the edge of the sand flat and then hiking a long distance across the sand flats.

sand flats along edge of the north/south causeway

In our case, we were walking along the edge of the causeway. Every so often there is an opening in the causeway and water is always rushing through those breaks. The water is also deeper. Below is a photo the Fish & Wildlife officer, Lindsey, took of me as I moved across one of these openings. My waterproof camera is underwater in the pocket of my shorts, but I had brought along my terrestrial camera to take photos of the hospital we never found. It was in a dry bag inside my backpack, but I still didn't want to risk dunking it. The current was strong and the bottom covered in large, slippery boulders. To be save I was going across sitting on my butt holding my backpack over my head with one hand.

me trying to keep my terrestrial camera dry


While we didn't find the hospital, we did see a number of coconut crabs, including this one up a tree.

coconut crab above us on a tree trunk

Also on the way back we hit a spot with a large number of sea cucumbers in about a foot of water. On the fore reef I only saw one sea cucumber in all my dives, and that was only when we went down to deeper water.

sea cucumber in the shallows of the sand flats

No comments:

Post a Comment