Monday, July 7, 2014

Last day of diving and a visit to Engineering Island

The day did not start off well. The GPS on the Zenobia finally died. Ron and Joel have put off installing the new one so we could keep working. They were scheduled to make the replacement tomorrow. To get us through today, we used a hand held GPS and Joel's tablet that had the NOAA map and showed us our location on the map. The one thing we lacked was depth readings. Kudos to Ron and Joel for improvising to get us out one last time.

dead GPS behind Joel's tablet and the hand held GPS to the left

The seas were rough at FR3 and FR9, so we headed to FR7 to do filming of the tiles with the GoPro. On the first dive I finally got to try out my GoMask. Here I am with the GoPro attached to my mask. I recorded video for the the first 42 minutes of the dive.

me with the GoPro on my mask

I hope to get some screen grabs from the video, but that will have to happen later when I have time to review the film.

On our second dive to retrieve the GoPro on a stick, I took my underwater camera to get still photos. I got some great shots, but it is late and it takes a while to upload the photos with the slow internet connection. I will try to post a selection tomorrow.

Also on our last dive, Paul and Sabina decided to go in without their wetsuits since it was going to be a short dive. Here is Sabina sans wetsuit doing her safety stop and holding the Hoff.

Sabina sans wetsuit doing her safety stop

After the dives, Lindsey took me and Dustin to go look for the old abandoned military hospital on Engineering Island. It was a long hike across the sand flats. When we had to cross breaks in the causeway, I was sometimes up to my neck in water holding my terrestrial camera above my head to keep it dry. I hope to get a photo of me crossing one of these channels that Lindsey took. The sad news is we didn't manage to find the hospital. Very disappointing.

Lindsey & Dustin hiking to Engineering Island


No comments:

Post a Comment