Tuesday, July 23, 2013

First day of diving & first day with sunshine

Busy day today. We made cages in the morning and then went diving in the afternoon. The first dive had lots of problems. I was underweight. I have my weight worked out for my cold water wetsuit, but didn't know how much I needed for my new 3 mm surf suit. I had 18 lbs, but added 6 more pounds for the second dive. The regulator they signed out to me had a number of problems. The nubs that you bite on to hold the regulator in your mouth were bitten off. This made it a bit of a challenge to hold onto it with my teeth. It has a slow leak around the hose that is used to fill the BC. Nothing to serious, but it meant I went through my air a bit faster. The dive computer also didn't turn itself on when I entered the water like it is suppose to do. I had my old Skinny Dipper computer as a backup, so I was OK. There was a spare regulator on the boat, so I swapped out, and the second dive went very well for me. However, it did not go well for Doug since the pneumatic drill was not working despite having tested it before we went out.

Tonight Doug is working to see if he can repair the drill. Francesco and I will be building more cages to cover the settlement plates.

The sun finally came out this afternoon. Below is the post-dinner sunset. I could kick myself because I took it from inside the dining hall. It is a screened in area, so you can see the screen. If I had taken it with my "terrestrial" camera, I would have noticed the screen and gone outside for the photos. I took it with my "underwater" camera which doesn't use a view finder, so I didn't notice the screen until I downloaded the photo and saw it on the big screen.  It is still beautiful.


1 comment:

  1. I hope your gear works better next time.

    Beautiful sunset!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete