Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Water everywhere but none to shower or drink

Monday night I was on radio duty for night operations on Kaula Island. I was there to answer calls when the lagoon boat left the dock, when it anchored at Kaula, when they finished hiking across the sand flats, and then every hour until the team left the island. The final call is when they return safely to the dock. This was an early night with the boat returning around 12:30 am. On a previous night I was up until just past 2 am answering the radio.

The interesting part here is when I came off radio duty and went to take a shower before going to bed. The water was not coming out of the shower head very fast. Thinking it had something to do with the shower head settings, I moved to a different shower stall. Instead of a trickle of water, this one had absolutely no water. I checked the galley, and it also had no water. At this point my concern was whether there was a leak in the water pipes coming from the water catchment. Armed with a flashlight, I biked to the catchment and looked around the pipes to see if I saw a leak. I also biked around the shop area looking for pools of water. I didn't find anything. By this time it was after midnight. Tim was still working in the dry lab, but everyone else was in bed sound asleep. My concern was the lack of water pressure might be due to a leak. I didn't want everyone to wake up the next day to discover the station had lost most of its fresh water supply. Reluctantly, I tried to reach Perri, the Station Manager, on the radio. When he didn't respond, I biked over to his cabin and knocked on his door. He was very gracious and thanked me for waking him up to let him know about the problem. He confirmed there was no water pressure and checked the water pump in the generator building. There did not appear to be any leaks, so repairs could wait until morning when he could put Jack on it.

I hate posting a blog entry with no photos, so here are some I took at the start of the trip.


We share the runway with fighter planes when departing Honolulu.
I believe this is a F-22 raptor.

The Falcon50 gets the red carpet treatment when it lands on Palmyra.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Joseph, loving the blog this year. Just wanted to say that's definitely an F/A-18 Hornet!

    ReplyDelete