Saturday, August 3, 2013

Two down, one to go

Another 4 dive day. We finished installing 60 tiles at FR7 and another 60 tiles at FR9 today. At FR3 we drilling the last hole. Here is a photo of Doug drilling the hole and Francesco holding the SCUBA tank of air for the pneumatic drill.


We have 10 caged tiles and around 5 un-caged tiles to install at FR3.  We also have two broken tiles to replace at the FR3 site. If things go smoothly, we should be able to do this in one dive, two at the most.

One of my tasks is to take care of the drill at the end of the day. After soaking it in fresh water while I eat dinner, I go to the shop and blow it dry and run it with air. I then fill it with a special lubricant and run it some more. I then spray the exterior with WD40. This should be my last night doing this messy job.

Here is an example of one of the large table-top corals that are at our sites.


I saw another green sea turtle, but not when I had my camera. I only had it for the last dive. I had a large manta go by, but I was shooting into the sun and couldn't get a good photo. I did finally get a short movie clip of an adult blacktip reef shark. Here is a frame grab from the video.

gray reef shark
Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos


The photo I missed was the large gray reef shark that swam by on an earlier dive when I was without my camera.

Tomorrow we are going out to try to tag 3 large male gray reef sharks.

The Coast Guard is coming on a C-130 plane on Monday.  This is part of a training exercise, but as long as they are coming, it is an opportunity for the Palmyra station to receive and remove larger pieces of equipment that would not fit on the small charter plane used to bring people to the Atoll.  We will feed them lunch of fresh fish which should be good if we are there.  Doug may have us out on the water working and eating bag lunches instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment