Thursday, August 8, 2013

Lunch guests on Palmyra

Doug, Francesco, and I spent the morning and afternoon diving, but we came in for lunch.  The Coast Guard arrived shortly after 11 am. We had just gotten back from doing 4 dives. I had to run to the lab in my wetsuit to get my good camera and then run out to the landing strip. I made it and barely got my camera on in time to make this shot.


This is an opportunity to get fresh food, but more importantly, it allows the station to move things on and off the island that are too big for the private charter flights used to bring scientists to and from the island.


While they are here, we feed them lunch.  Here is Katie, our chef, showing off the Ono fish that she grilled for the group.


Between the Coast Guard and the group from US Fish & Wildlife that also came on the flight, there were almost 50 people at lunch. Note that while the Coast Guard arrived in uniform, they quickly changed to island attire to eat lunch and either swim or explore the island.


No comments:

Post a Comment