Sunday, August 4, 2013

The kitchen

I got on the bathroom scale this morning for the first time, and despite all the exercise Doug is giving me, I haven't lost any weight. I am going to claim that I have lost fat and gained muscle which is heavier and thus explains why I haven't lost any weight. Katie is the chef and therefore the most important person on the Atoll. She and her assistant Robin, keep us very well fed. Even today, a Sunday, when the staff is off, they leave the refrigerator well stocked with leftovers and other goodies. A well fed scientist is a hard working scientist. Here is a photo of the kitchen area with Jack's head stuck in the refrigerator where they keep lots of food available 24/7 for anyone to raid.


I keep forgetting to get more pictures of the food since I know I have one "foodie" who is reading the blog regularly. You know who you are. Here is a picture of Gareth, a Scripps graduate student, loading up his dinner plate with prawns.


Katie, as promised, here is a photo of Dadu, the station's guard dog.


4 comments:

  1. Yumm! The food looks AWESOME! Joe, you are probably getting leaner because you are working so hard. When you get back, check on your home scale and the pants that you haven't worn in a month. And, of course, with an open kitchen, and nutritious and delicious food, you might be staying the same. Thank you, Katie and Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks delicious! How many do they cook for each day and do they cook three meals a day or are you on your own for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is great food. They cook breakfast and dinner. Lunch is often leftovers except on days when the plane arrives. I usually miss lunch anyway since we are on the boat diving all day. After breakfast I make a sandwich, grab an apple and some energy bars along with several bottles of ice water.

      Delete
  3. I just learned that Dadu along with the resident cat were brought here by the previous owners. When they sold the property to The Nature Conservancy, one of the stipulations was to allow Dadu and the cat to live out their natural lives on Palmyra.

    ReplyDelete