Sunday, August 11, 2013

A fun snorkel on my last Sunday on Palmyra Atoll

We did three working dives this morning and I didn't take my camera. Francesco spotted a good sized hammerhead shark. I got a glimpse of it. I am hoping Francesco got a video of it. If so, I will share later.

Doug gave me the afternoon off to go snorkeling. Meg, the US Fish & Wildlife officer, took the two cooks and me out on her boat. We were trying to go to Crazy Corals, but we ended up at Tortagonia. This is very shallow, so you can only go there in a shallow draft boat on a high tide. We were only out there a few minutes before we were recalled because of a weather front coming through. Too bad, but I did manage to get some great photos. I would go back in an instant.

Here is an example of a beautiful coral formation.


There was a huge school of convict tangs.  I also have a movie, but I don't have enough bandwidth here to post a movie.

Convict tangs
Acanthurus triostegus

This is my favorite.

Achilles tang
Acanthurus achilles




1 comment: