Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Very busy first day

Here is the Stanford team about to board our two and a half hour flight from Honolulu to Palmyra Atoll. 

Tim, Ana, Joe ready to board Falcon50 flight to Palmyra Atoll
One of the first things you see when you land is the new wind generator that is right by the air strip.

wind power generator side view
wind power generator head-on view

We are the only science team on Palmyra. However, there are a number of other people out here with us besides the "standard" staff. There is a recent high school graduate, Rex, who will be attending Harvard but is taking a year off before starting college. There is Tim who is working with Sarah on upgrading the marsh area used for sewage treatment. The good news is the number of people is low enough that everyone gets their own cabin and don't have to share. I was really hoping for this as I lucked out and had my own cabin the previous two trips. I am in cabin #3 which is even closer to the water than #4 where I stayed my previous two trips. 

my waterfront cabin, #3


No comments:

Post a Comment