Friday, July 22, 2016

Blown out today


The day did not start well as I am unable to get the dead battery out of my Olympus camera. This is the camera I use most of the time since I don't have to worry about it getting wet. I am going to be bummed if I am not able to include lots of photos with my blog entries. I also use the camera to document things which later become very useful.

Last night it rained pretty hard. The previous group had enjoyed great weather their entire time, but I guess they took the good weather with them. It stopped raining by morning, and it didn't look too bad in the lagoon. Once we got outside the lagoon it was clear that the water was too rough to return to FR3 and collect more settlement tiles. The skipper offered to peek around the point heading toward the north shore to see if things were better on the lee side of the island. No such luck. Our return to dock was rough going as it was like being in a dish washer getting thrown around by waves.

After lunch Tim, Ana, and I did hour long searches for coconut crabs on Sand Island and Kaula Island. No camera, so no photos. The clothes we wore all had to be brand new and frozen for 48 hours before we could set foot on these islands. This is to prevent accidentally bringing seeds, ants, or other invasive species to the islands.

I hate to post without any photos, so here are some of the laundry/shower building. This building is one I forgot to photograph during my first year on Palmyra. My attempt at an exterior shot during my second year did not come out well, so here are some better photos.


laundry & shower building exterior

laundry & shower building interior
note the folded laundry in bottom left - your laundry is done for you daily except on Sundays

one of several several shower stalls

No comments:

Post a Comment