Tuesday, July 19, 2016

On our way

Tim picked me up at 3 am, and we headed to the airport shuttle bus stop driving through the deserted streets of PG and Monterey.

It really is a small world. The driver of the shuttle has a relative that worked for The Nature Conservancy, and one of the passengers said his sister worked on Palmyra. It turns out his sister is Chelsea Wood, a former HMS graduate student who I helped track down historic photos of Palmyra for her research and also helped her obtain lots of books on parasites.

I am composing this on the plane, and realize I forgot to take a photo of the ice chest I used as my checked bag. I wanted a photo just in case it got lost.  I was too wrapped up re-packing it in order to get Tim's checked bag below the 50 lb weight limit.

LATER TODAY.

Tim and I made it to Hawaii with all our gear and met up with Ana who had arrived earlier on a flight from LAX.  After grabbing some lunch, we are in our hotel's business center waiting for our room to be cleaned.

ice chest that went with checked luggage along with my carry-on bag
We get to "sleep-in" tomorrow compared to today. Our shuttle picks us up at 6 am to leave for Signature Air where we will load all our gear and then wait to hear from the station manager on Palmyra for his weather report so we know when to depart. Last time, you may remember, it was raining so hard we couldn't land.

No comments:

Post a Comment