Thursday, June 12, 2014

Last "major" purchase before departure

I think I made my last purchase before I depart on Tuesday. Last year I took a pair of "original" flip-flops that were like those I wore as a kid with the rubber button through a hole in the sandal. They didn't cost me anything, but they weren't worth much either. After several weeks of use, the button ripping through. I had to borrow a pair of flip-flops that were in the pile of spare clothing left by previous visitors as "community property". Those really chafed my toes.

Flip-flops are an essential piece of "equipment" on Palmyra, so my thought was to splurge and invest in a good pair, expecting to spend maybe $25 or even $35. A new store recently opened up in the Del Monte shopping center that just sells flip-flops, so I went to check it out. When I walked in I experienced major sticker shock with many costing $65 or more. There were also so many brands and styles, I decided I needed to do some research if I was going to invest that much money.

After talking with several people at Hopkins who wear flip-flops regularly and looking at reviews online, I headed off to REI to check out their selection since they had many of the brands I wanted to try. In the end I decided to buy the OluKai Ohana even though they cost $65 plus tax. They were just so much more comfortable than everything else I tried, and they come with a year's guarantee.

Last year my big splurge was the new thin wetsuit, this year it is flip-flops.


1 comment:

  1. I understand completely! I splurged years ago on some lovely Birkenstocks and have been able to make them last about 15 years, with some re-soling work about every five years. Quality footwear is oft overlooked but incredibly crucial!

    ReplyDelete