Saturday, June 21, 2014

Hopefully my last day in Waikiki

We are going to make a second attempt to fly to Palmyra tomorrow (Sunday). We will be flying on the same plane but with a different crew. The plane is leaving later than usual. Last time we had to be at the airport by 7 am. This time we need to be there by 8:30 am. Brenda has promised us a real breakfast this time instead of just coffee, donuts, and juice. Of course I really wanted another bacon donut, not only to eat, but to take a picture of it which I failed to do on Friday.

Assuming the plane can land, this will be a quick turn-around flight. Normally the flight lands and everyone has lunch together before the outgoing science team departs. There were several people among the departing group I had hoped to spend time talking with about logistics, equipment location, etc., but that is not going to happen.  If I can just get on the island I will be happy and can't complain.

It was not a very exciting day in Waikiki. I spent some time Skyping with Fio to go over how things are going. I proofed a draft of the Hopkins newsletter and emailed in my corrections.  I went with Lindsey see the Moana Surfrider hotel, one of the old classic hotels on the beach where Lindsey and his wife had stayed many years ago. I also went and bought an aloha Hawaiian shirt to wear tomorrow since I am tired of wearing dirty cloths. I expected to be on Palmyra 3 days ago where they would be doing my laundry 6 days a week, and I had sent most of my cloths directly to the island back in April.

I hate doing a blog without photos, so here are a couple from our force stay on Christmas Island on Friday.

Gulfstream IV waiting to get fuel on Christmas Island

Proof I set foot on Kiritimati, also known as Christmas Island


No comments:

Post a Comment