Friday, June 28, 2013

Packing for Palmyra - Part 1


Packing to spend a month on remote island is a interesting exercise.  Anything you forget to bring or break once you are there you will have to live without.  So on the one hand you want to make sure you have everything you could possibly need.  On the other hand weight is a limiting factor for the small charter plane that flies to Palmyra out of Honolulu. There is a strict weight limit on what I can bring.

Logistics are handled by the Palmyra Atoll Research Consortium (PARC), a collaboration among universities, museums, and conservation NGOs.  They send out instructions to all visiting researchers outlining things they provide and making recommendations on what to bring.  They will be providing most of the dive gear such as tank, weights, regulator, BC, and dive computer.  I will bring my own mask, fins, snorkel.  I plan to bring extra fin straps, but do I also bring a spare mask?  I needed to buy a wetsuit since I would roast in my thick, custom, cold-water wetsuit.  I went to a couple Monterey shops with the intent to buy local, but the selection was fairly limited since 3 mm suits are not in high demand here with our cold, upwelled waters.  I ended up buying a Pinnacles Tempo 3 mm Large/Short online.  The advantage to buying online was the wide range of sizes.  Pinnacles makes 17 different size wetsuits for men.  I was pleased with both the quality and how well it fit. While it is a great suit, it is quite a departure from my plain, black, cold-water suit.  It has lots of color accents that, as several reviewers of the suit mentioned, make you look like a superhero.


No comments:

Post a Comment