Sunday, January 3, 2021

I am amazed that over four years have passed since I made my third trip to the Palmyra Atoll. My time there is still very vivid in my memories. I am also surprised I continue to run across more information and history about Palmyra. Below are two links to articles about the atoll that came out recently. The first is a story that appeared in the April/May 2020 issue of Hawaiian Airlines flight magazine. The second is the story about Roger Lextrait, the manager/caretaker who lived on the atoll for 8 years prior to its purchase by the Nature Conservancy. This latter link includes an hour long home video by Lextrait. 

I was recently in contact with Stefan Kropidlowski, the Fish & Wildlife manager of Palmyra.  He informed me the atoll is currently experiencing a severe draught. I had not been aware that Palmyra had draughts, but then at the 52 minutes 30 seconds mark in Lextrait video he talks about a 6 month draught and showed how it had killed off many of the palm trees.

Return to the Wild - Hana Hou!

Roger Lextrait - 8 years living on Palmyra Atoll

No comments:

Post a Comment