Saturday, June 20, 2015

A couple links to interesting web pages on Palmyra Atoll

I continue to find interesting web pages about Palmyra Atoll. In addition to a short description of the island and its terrestrial wildlife, this link has some nice photos along with text that describes the history of ownership of Palmyra.

   http://www.janeresture.com/palmyra/

Of particular interest are the photos taken by James Sinnott.  He served as a Radioman First Class on Palmyra from August 1942 until December 1943. I wonder if he is still alive and how many other photos he has of Palmyra? I sure hope someone has archived all of them.

Following the James Sinnott lead I got from the above URL, I found these links:

   http://www.oneworldjourneys.com/palmyra/html/

   http://www.oneworldjourneys.com/palmyra/html/history/hist_1940_46c.html

This appears to be an old, un-maintained set of web pages. Some of the hot links do not work, but I sometimes managed to move around by looking at the URL and editing it using the naming convention used by the author. I was particularly interested in the Palmyra History tab which again provides some great historic photos. It appears the Bishop Museum in Honolulu may have a nice collection of historic photos of Palmyra. If I get some time there on my trip in October, I may see if I can arrange to look at them. Last year I tried to visit the Bishop Museum library, but it was by appointment only. I will plan ahead next time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment